JOSE ERBELLA, M.D., FACS
General, Oncologic & Minimally Invasive Surgeries
Call for Appointment
INCISIONLESS REFLUX SURGERY
TIF EsophyX Surgery
Transoral Incisionless Fundoplication (TIF) is an innovative surgical technique for strengthening the weakened valve at the top of the stomach that is usually responsible for gastroesophageal reflux disease. Using an instrument called EsophyX, I can perform a procedure similar to laparoscopic Nissen fundoplication except that EsophyX eliminates the incisions through the skin seen in laparoscopic surgery.
TIF EsophyX is performed through the patient’s mouth in a procedure lasting less than an hour. In most cases, patients do not require an overnight stay in the hospital and can return to normal activity within a few days of the procedure.
Benefits of TIF EsophyX
The results of TIF EsophyX are similar to those seen in laparoscopic acid reflux surgery with the additional benefits of:
• No internal cutting or organ dissection
• No incisions through the skin
• No scars from the surgery
• Fewer complications than open or laparoscopic surgery
• Doesn’t limit future surgical options
• Can be revised if necessary for improved effectiveness
TIF EsophyX Procedure
The TIF EsophyX procedure uses a transoral (through the mouth) approach identical to the technique used in the procedure often used to diagnose GERD called an upper endoscopy. Patients undergoing the TIF EsophyX procedure are placed under general anesthesia before the EsophyX device is advanced through the mouth into the esophagus and down into the stomach.
Using the video camera at the end of the device, I can position the EsophyX device at the junction of the esophagus and stomach where the valve repair is to occur. I then make a series of plications or folds in the muscular wall of the stomach to reconstruct the weak valve so that it opens to allow food to enter the stomach, but closes firmly to prevent backflow or reflux of corrosive stomach juices.
Are You a Good Candidate for TIF EsophyX Surgery?
Transoral incisionless fundoplication may be a good solution if:
• You have heartburn or other symptoms of acid reflux two or more times per week
• Your GERD medication is no longer controlling symptoms
• GERD medications give you side effects that you cannot tolerate
• You do not wish to take acid reflux medications for the rest of your life
• Acid reflux has affected your voice or you have asthma related to your GERD
• You have Barrret’s esophagus
• Your teeth are damaged by acid reflux
What Results can you expect from TIF EsophyX?
TIF EsophyX surgery is FDA approved as a treatment option for acid reflux disease. Research studies show that TIF EsophyX eliminates heartburn in 85% of patients. Approximately 80% of patients can stop taking their daily proton pump inhibitor (PPI) medications within two years of the procedure. Most patients report that they are very satisfied with their decision to have TIF EsophyX surgery. Two years after surgery, between 60-80% of patients report that they are able to eat anything they like without fear of heartburn.