JOSE ERBELLA, M.D., FACS
General, Oncologic & Minimally Invasive Surgeries
Call for Appointment
Adjustable gastric banding surgery helps people to lose weight by restricting how much food can comfortably be eaten at one time. However, it’s important to know that gastric banding is not a magic bullet for weight loss. LAP-BAND surgery is a tool, but it’s up to you to make the most of it by practicing good lap-band nutrition.
SHORT-TERM LAP-BAND NUTRITION
You will gradually learn to adjust to eating with the LAP-BAND after surgery. You will begin with a liquid diet and progress back to your new way of eating. For most people, this progression includes:
• 1-2 Weeks After Surgery – Liquid Diet
• 3-4 Weeks Post-surgery – Pureed Foods
• 5 Weeks Post-surgery – Soft Foods
• 6 Weeks and Longer – Long-Term LAP-BAND Diet
LONG-TERM LAP-BAND NUTRITION
The long-term LAP-BAND diet is designed to help you lose weight without being hungry or lacking important nutrients. It will also help you avoid uncomfortable side effects such as vomiting that can occur with overeating or improper digestion.
Remember that the LAP-BAND can only restrict the amount of food you eat. It’s up to you to monitor the quality of the food. A diet consisting mostly of fruits, vegetables, whole grains and lean proteins will provide you with the most nutritional bang for your caloric buck, helping you to lose weight while feeling good.
In addition to watch what you eat, it’s also important to pay attention to how you eat by following a few simple rules.
THE 5 RULES OF LAP-BAND NUTRITION
1. Eat three times a day.
2. Eat mostly solid foods because the Lap Band does not restrict liquids.
3. Chew thoroughly.
4. Do not drink during your meals. This washes the food through the LAP BAND quickly and allows you to eat more.
5. Avoid high calorie liquids like juices, alcohol and specialty coffee drinks.
Before and after surgery, our team will make sure you have access to a nutrition expert as well as a support system that can help you incorporate lap-band nutrition into your daily life.